Monday, June 02, 2008

Walking in the wolds...and wall lights!

Not so very long ago, these were kept busy on a regular basis walking a good ten or fifteen miles. And in hilly Derbyshire too - not namby-pamby flat Lincolnshire! But alas, I walk less since moving to the country than I did when I lived in a large town. Still, somethings better than nothing so I do try to make the effort whenever the sun decides to peep out (I'm not one for wet weather walking - brrrr) and have more of a five or six mile gentle amble. One of my regular ambles is also my favourite as there is a nice pub halfway round for refreshments - and one other attraction but more of that later....








Now to most people Lincolnshire means flat - and it is! But just five minutes away from me is the Wolds which consist of gently rolling hills and pretty villages...







We start by walking over glorious farmland...and then through this nature reserve...





and down a shady footpath...






over the bridge...







say hello to the pony...








who very kindly lets us walk through his field, past this lovely house...







along the river for a bit...the ducks had just landed...







past this pretty church....





not forgetting to stop at the cottage for a dozen free range eggs...only four left so we made up the dozen with white banties!







Ahhh! Time for a rest and a glass of wonderful local beer from here that's made just down the road in Wainfleet.
Not only is there a nice garden to sit in but these lovely ladies (and gentleman) always come to say hello!








They'll snaffle your dry-roasted given half a chance but salty things aren't good for chickens so I have to say no...







then the 'hard' bit...we actually have to climb a hill...





but over the other side is the lake with resident swans...they went all shy for this picture...





A short walk up the lane and back to the car....a lovely way to pass a few hours with only the sound of birdsong to accompany you.




Why is it there is always a list of jobs you should be getting done? Going out for a walk for a few hours means you can't do them..however, you have to get around to them sometime and this is one such example...





I've had these wall lights for a few years and wasn't sure if I'd actually ever use them...you know how it is - I bought a chandelier off ebay and the three wall lights came with them.






The chandelier has been hanging in my living room ever since but the wall lights were languishing in a box in the loft (home to all that is old/broken/but will come in handy one day) I wasn't keen on the shades and I knew it would take a while to find four matching ones and then I recently found these 1950's ones in the charity shop. Now, I did think twice 'cause at 50p each they seemed quite dear (!) but it is for rescued greyhounds so I splashed out. A was commandeered to do the drilling and voila...they aren't wired, more sort of decorative only but I'm still trying to decide if I like them...although they do match a shade I already have in the bedroom. I'll live with them for a while and I'm sure they'll grow on me, after all it's not fair to take them straight down again after all A's hard work.

Fond as I am of old Vernon up there in the middle he's just filling a gap until I have this print framed.



Another item I've had for years and was waiting for the right old frame to turn up. Although I'm not religious I do love these texts and they can be picked up fairly reasonably. Looks like another job to add to the list...