Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Enjoying the Hurly Burghley!

Not my Union Jack...unfortunately I forgot to take mine!


We spent last Saturday evening in the rather lovely surroundings of Burghley House. Well, the park at any rate. We were there to enjoy a Battle Proms concert in celebration of a certain somebody's birthday (groan...not another one; they don't half come 'round quick!)


Not bad is it? Don't fancy hoovering it though.

We've been to a proms concert at Burghley before but this time as well as the music there were other attractions such as .... a Spitfire...with a 'lady driver'. I wonder if she was doing her 'lippy' whilst turning a loop the loop!

Just joshing!!


...Napoleonic Cavalry displays...




...and these nattily dressed gentleman who were firing off some extremely loud vintage field guns.


But there was also music...


and lot's and lot's of flag waving!






All four corners of the British Isles were represented...

What started as a pleasant evening got steadily colder and the sky got greyer. We knew what was coming...but I was ok because I'd packed my favourite crocheted blanket which did a great job of keeping me snug.


Even A resorted to throwing it around his shoulders later that night to keep warm! That'll teach him not to take a jacket...







A yummy picnic and a bottle of champagne later and the night started to draw in....the lanterns were lit...


...and the orchestra played on...


When 193 live cannons were let off to accompany Beethoven's 'Battle Symphony'....

it looked like the sky was on fire!


But this was nothing compared to the fantastic fireworks that followed...








































My apologies ~ some of my firework shots have water drops on them as I had a very wet camera by this point...it was pelting down! In fact we started back to the car park (a long walk!) with the strains of Jerusalem/Land of Hope & Glory/Rule Brittania ringing in our ears.

My feet may have been squelching in my shoes...but I was singing all the way.