Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Morris Goes To...The Museum Of Lincolnshire Life

Not really, they wouldn't let him inside. He did get us there though. It was just a silly title to enable me to share these pictures with you.

The Museum of Lincolnshire Life (fairly self-explanatory) is completely free! It's housed in a Victorian barracks that were once home to the Royal North Lincoln Militia.


 A large part of the museum is made up of recreated rooms and businesses, including this Victorian schoolroom. (never mind Victorian, my junior school looked not unlike this!)


There are things in cabinets...


and war related displays...




But my favourites are the shops, such as the Chemists...

What I wouldn't give to have all those cabinets in my kitchen!


I just love the Drapers shop...I'll take everything please!










And when you've bought some chairbacks and a shingle cap (!) you can trot next door to the Post Office to purchase a stamp or two.
Then there's the Grocer's...

More cabinet envy...
The basket makers...

How many towns still have an Ironmongers I wonder...?


The paraphernalia of the stonemason...

I could certainly make myself comfy in the Victorian house...











This is the Blacksmiths workshop...

Complete with Dobbin!

There are also some vehicle displays...

It's sad isn't it when you see something in a museum that you (and by you I mean Mr TVL, I've never visited Butlins) remember from childhood?


...as Morris had to wait patiently in the car park, ready to transport us home again.

The museum is well worth a visit if you're in the Lincoln area. We're planning to go back and see Ellis Windmill in the not too distant future. It' s situated at the rear of the museum and is also free.